The Catholic Women’s League of Canada was introduced to St. Peter’s Parish by Mrs. Clare Flemming and, with the approval of the pastor Reverend Donald MacPherson, a Council was formed on August 30, 1945. Thirteen women signed the application for charter. A plaque honouring the first President and the first Secretary hangs in St. Peter’s Parish Hall.
We have in our possession, three precious items which were presented to us and which form an important part of our history:
The gavel – a gift from Margaret Burns, National President, in memory of her visit to Port Hood.
The Papal Blessing – an illuminated parchment, signed and blessed by our Holy Father, Pope Pius XII. It was presented to us by a native son of this parish, the late Father Bede MacEachern.
The Papal Blessing – a parchment, signed and blessed by our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II. It was presented to us by Father Paul Murphy, former parish priest.